Bangladesh is an emerging country with highly dense population. The geophysical location of this country made it highly potential for natural resources including minerals. Natural gas and coal are the prime minerals that are using for power generation to meet the entire national demand. Comparing to other resources natural gas is been used more for this purpose. Total reserve of gas (proven + probable) is 27.12 TCF and we have already consumed 13.032 TCF (up to June 2015) only 14.088 TCF remaining (Source: 7th five year plan page# 310). Unless exploring new gas field or reduce the natural gas consumption as per the consuming pattern this amount would be diminished after 10 to 15 years.
At the other hand as a source of cooking fuel we are using wood that directly creating impact on forestry. 1991 to 2011 the use of wood reduced only 9.47% that is too low considering national development. (Source: socio economic census, BBS)
Observing the scarcity of natural energy sources and recognizing the potential of renewable energy in this region more precisely for the tropical position of this country that increased the potentiality of solar power which is around 380,054,187 MWh/year. 4-5 KWh/m2 solar radiation falls on Bangladesh over 300 day per annum (Huque, S. and Mazumder, R. K., 2006) that is huge comparing other countries. Along with this the hydro power, biogas plants can be utilized for power generation that will ultimately reduce the pressure on other natural resources like gas and coal. Alternatively Improved Cook Stove (ICS) is also supplementing to conserve energy by reducing the use of fuel wood that is savings our forest resource. Recognizing all these factors and its positive impact on environment SARPV has taken initiatives for promoting renewable energy from 2014.
Goal of this Program
- Promotion of renewable energy to the general mass.
ICSs are those traditional stoves which upon some modification/alternation/addition yield higher efficiencies when compared with the unmodified ones
Approaches to Improved Cooking Stove (ICS) Technology to the community level:
Involving community people to introduce this technology to the mass people:
- Involving the local Government and Community People.
- Improved Public Health and Environmental quality
- Utilizing renewable energy sources at optimum level for reducing carbon emission
- To develop skill manpower through training course of improved stoves to the unemployed men and women of the country.
The improved stoves have many advantages over traditional stoves. Some of the advantages of ICS are given below:
- Saves 50-65 % traditional fuels
- Reduces indoor air pollution
- Save cooking times 40–50 %
- Keeps the kitchen environment pollution free and thereby check health hazards of the users.
- Less blacking of the cooking utensils
- Protect the fire hazards.
- Local people did not have that much awareness regarding the harmful effect of traditional mud stove at the same time they had low or no knowledge on ICS that was the initial challenge for us.
- People were not prepared to purchase an ICS where they could easily make a mud stove without spending money.
- At the beginning ICS was not available in all the areas specially the remote areas. It was challenging to ensure availability of ICS everywhere in our working areas.
- After installation the proper maintenance of ICS by the beneficiaries was problem, often they did not follow the guideline that was demonstrated during user training.
- Previous impact of other improved stoves had negative impact on local people that also created hurdle for us.
- Widespread promotional campaigning like meetings with different stakeholders, community consultation, school visits, house visits raised the awareness level.
- Through extensive user training and continuous monitoring the maintenance was ensured.
- After receiving the preliminary training from IDCOL we developed human resources by our own who acted as motivating factors for others to get involve with this program.
- Well understanding of the geophysical setup of each region can reduce the losses from natural hazards.
- Use of ICS also reduces the health expenditure at household level and improves the physical condition of individual.